The role of a council is:
- to act as a representative, informed and responsible decision maker in the interests of its constituency; and
- to develop a strong and cohesive social life for its residents and allocate resources in a fair, socially inclusive and sustainable way; and
- to provide and coordinate public facilities and services; and
- to encourage and develop initiatives for improving quality of life; and
- to represent the interests of its area to the wider community; and
- to exercise and perform the powers and functions of local government assigned to the council under the Local Government Act or another Act.
The following policies guide and support the Councillors whilst undertaking their role as Councillors.